If our historical trauma is so important, why we are not aware of the impact of this trauma filled past?
There are several rather large barriers that have made it difficult to come to realizations about this issue.
- Avoidance of delving into trauma is normal because it is so uncomfortable to contemplate
- Our sciences have not been oriented towards easily seeing things this way
- Our own cultural biases are very difficult to see
- Oppression is seen as political, not a symptom of an illness
- Social Science issues get politicized
- Social Issues and Polarization-It’s about Power
- Because it’s difficult to see cultural biases, we accept certain cultural constructs uncritically
- Other cultural constructs are hidden from view until a certain critical mass of awareness is reached